Saturday, December 19, 2015

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Review (Spoiler-Free)

By Nate Fett

From the time the horns started to play that all so familiar song with the opening crawl scrolling upward, chills began to form on my arms and I got that feeling that this movie will be nothing like that of Episodes I-III but more so of Episodes IV-VI.  This was the start of Star Wars: The Force Awakens

The film is being brought to the screen after The Walt Disney Company's acquiring of Lucasfilm. George Lucas turned over the task of directing to JJ Abrams. George Lucas has built an empire on Episodes IV-VI, but at the same time has received much negative criticism for Episodes I-III when he brought the series back in 1999. Once revealed that JJ Abrams signed on to direct the film, all I knew, for me personally, is that JJ had my trust.

Abrams, if you aren’t familiar with him, is the same director that brought one of my personal favorite shows Lost. As well, he also helped me to actually enjoy Star Trek with his 2009 edition of the film. Abrams had the difficult task going into this film of gaining fans trust back in the series as well as gaining new fans with this movie.

I’ll sum this up with a spoiler free summary of the film. Star Wars: The Force Awakens, stars Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis, Lupita Nyong'o and Domnhall Gleeson and returning cast members Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill.  Even though there is nothing mentioned about Luke Skywalker in the trailers, I assure you he is indeed in this movie (shhh…). This movie managed to set its own trend rather than follow in the shoes of the past ones, with characters like Kylo Ren, Rey and Finn, as well as the feisty BB-8 droid.  

Going into this film at 2am on December 18th, I had such high expectations for Kylo and Finn. Believe me they did not disappoint.  Yet it was Daisy Ridley’s Rey that stole my attention and heart in this film, leaving me to no longer care for Katniss as a female tough girl in films these days.

I ended this film and had one word to describe it and that is brilliant.  The vision Abrams brought, the new cast and characters that I have already grown to love.  As well as how beautifully the cinematography was for this movie.  I already made plans to see it again, and I’m sure a third time.  This film is my everything right now when it comes to entertainment and I promise you I’m just like the millions of other die hards that say “I can’t wait two years for Episode VIII”, but I suppose it’s better than waiting 16 long years for the nonsense that was Phantom Menace (with the exception of Darth Maul).  The journey was short, yet the force will live on in a few years and my inner nerd will be waiting in line anticipating.

Sources:
-Movie trailer embedded from YouTube channel "Star Wars". 

No comments:

Post a Comment