Friday, December 27, 2013

Disney Parks Christmas Day Parade: Proposal


By Zach Cooper
 It is an annual tradition in many Disney fans to watch the Disney Parks Christmas Day Parade on ABC. For the last few years, I have found myself fast forwarding through 75 percent of the show. This year was the 30th anniversary of the parade. It began in 1983, when it was only filmed at Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida.

When I learned that it was the 30th anniversary, it got me thinking about how many times I have watched the show. I believe this is my 7th or 8th year. I do feel that for the last few years it has always been the same thing, and nothing new. Of course, they brought in new hosts like Mario Lopez and Neil Patrick Harris, but it just doesn't seem like enough.

We see the same floats and characters year after year. The only thing different is the performances, even though they occasionally bring back old musicians. For example, in 2009, Demi Lavato preformed "Wonderful Christmas Time" which was one of the best performances I have seen.



Just 4 years later, Demi returned to sing her new song "Let It Go" from the movie Frozen.


I think the parades should both happen in different places. 2 Main Streets isn't always the most exciting thing. It would be nice if both parks had something different.

I do feel like there should be some changes in the shows outline. Just last year, Disney's California Adventure was fully renovated with all new lands and attractions. This is a great opportunity to host the show in a new environment and setting, still with that 'holiday' feel.

As for Walt Disney World, it would be really cool to see the parade from a different point of view. One thing I love about the "Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade" is how some of the anchors are broadcasting from a rooftop of a hotel. It would be really cool to see the Disney Parks Parade host narrating from a balcony of Cinderella Castle or something like that. 


These might not be the most exciting ideas, but they are ideas. I really feel like the parade should be different and unique every year. Let me know your thoughts. I believe if some changes like these were made, we would not need to fast forward through any part of it.

Photos by Gabe @disneyman2021

This is an opinion-based post. This blog is not affiliated with the Walt Disney Company or ABC in any way. All opinions are mine and do not reflect another.

No comments:

Post a Comment