Saturday, August 25, 2012

My Short and Quick Review: Paranorman

Photo from Paranorman Wikipedia Page.
By Dr.Pan¡c

Note: This will be the first of a bunch of short reviews. The point is a one paragraph review of a movie or video game so you don't have to read like 20 paragraphs.

    I walk all the way to the back of the theater with one bucket of large popcorn in one hand and a medium coke in the other. As I find my way to the seat I look around and notice, "Hey there isn't that many kids here. Only Adults." It was true. In the whole theater, there were mostly adults or teenagers. Now this movie isn't exactly as scary as I hoped it would be. It has tons of clicked moments like walking through a dark empty spooky house, not knowing what will come pop out. This movie isn't as scary nor as creepy as Coraline. Instead it's more of a family movie for kids 9 and older. The plot is about a boy named Norman (but his Mom called him Robin once) who can interact with the dead. His insane uncle tells him of a witches curse where zombies come to life. Now the problem with this movie is that these zombies aren't scary but actually quite funny. The only thing that may scare you in this movie is when it transitions to a scene with a loud noise. (for example lighting would be loud and be used to scare the audience). For adults, I'd say this is a letdown and there's better movies to watch if you want to be scared. For kids, this may be a good movie. The comedy is kind of cheesy. For example.
Norman: Did anyone get bitten?
Neil: I bit my tongue. Does that count?
No one in the theater laughed. Not even the kids. I give this movie a 8/10. The humor could have been better and if it was just as creepy as Coraline it just might've been the perfect movie. Hopefully, next time Laika will be able to make a more creepy, and less comedic movie. Coraline had the perfect amount of creepiness and had dark humor. If your an adult, I recommend a different movie. If you want to take your kids out to see a movie, I prefer The Odd Life of Timothy Green! (The ending of Timothy Green will most likely make you cry)

No comments:

Post a Comment